Ultrasound Technician Salary Levels
How much does an ultrasound job pay? Oftentimes that's the bottom line for job seekers. In some markets, an ultrasound technologist salary may exceed $65,000. Read on to learn more about ultrasound technician salary level. Learn more about sonographer salaries on our sonography salary page.
What ultrasound salary should I expect?
- The mean annual salary for diagnostic medical sonographers was $63,640 in May 2009, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The highest 10 percent of ultrasound tech salaries exceeded $85,000.
- An ultrasound technologist salary may vary depending on work setting. For example, the 2009 mean annual salary for those working in doctor offices was $63,820, while those working in hospitals earned $63,770.
- Salaries for ultrasound technicians also vary by state. In Connecticut, for example, ultrasound technicians earn a mean annual salary of $73,660, while in Alabama the average salary is $50,320.
How will experience affect my ultrasound salary?
- As is the case with other professions, ultrasound tech salaries may be lower for entry-level workers and higher for senior positions, such as a chief ultrasound technologist.
- According to the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, of those who make an income over $65,000 annually, 55% are age 50+ and 22% are under age 30.
What other salary considerations should I know about?
- According to Ultrasound Jobs, ultrasound technicians may expect lower pay if they're not registered with the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
- Another factor for ultrasound tech salaries is the number of specialties you have. The more specialties (abdomen, breast, OB/GYN, etc.), the higher your pay may be.
- Lastly, your employer, background, level of education or certification, and state of residence may all affect your ultrasound salary
For more information on Ultrasound Technician Salary levels, check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics page on Diagnostic Medical Sonographers.
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Associate of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography-Concentration in General and Vascular Sonography